Sunday 14 September 2014

Introducing Felipe's Mom...

...I realize there are might be a few people reading this who might not know me as well as they know Felipe.  I'm revamping my blog, accepted a blog writing challenge and so, "Hello!"

I'm born and raised New Yorker to immigrant parents.  I had the trajectory of life drilled in my mind at an early age, you go to school, college, get a job with stability, earn your pension, retire by 40.  I realize now that was my parent's dreams as they were struggling to make ends meet and retirement wasn't in sight for a long time.  I started on that path, I left NY for Smith College, located in western Massachusetts for an experience where I could learn how to be on my own and away from the familiar.  Things were going well, until a routine physical exam with a new doctor in 2000.  I had always been "sickly" however when I complained my prior doctors just chalked it up to "growing pains".

Turns out I had an array of illnesses that had gone undiagnosed.  I was diagnosed with thyroid Cancer in 2000.  I had it removed and have been monitored for any advancement of the cancer and monitored to make sure I have sufficient hormone levels in my system.  I also have Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome, which was discovered when I fainted from the pain of cramps which turned out to be a cyst bursting.  I was also diagnosed with inflammatory bowel syndrome and with Fatty Liver.  How I was diagnosed with each illness is a long story, a post for another day...however, my health was something that I was dealing with on a "defensive" mode. Something happened I took care of it, or tried to, as it popped up, but I wasn't trying to actively take care of myself.

I went to college and law school in the hope to be of service to others.  My particular field of interest has always been children, family and persons involved in the criminal/incarceration system.  I went to law school and started as an attorney for children in the new York city area.  I represented kids who were in foster care, or in jeopardy of being removed from their parents due to neglect and abuse by adults in their lives.  I also represented juveniles who were arrested and sent to family court.  (in NY, anyone from 7 to 15 years old).  It was tough work and I loved it.  I spent 10-12 hours a day preparing for trials, speaking with clients, investigating allegations.  It was emotionally and physically draining.  My main view of life during this time was, these kids have it rough, they need my all, my needs are secondary to theirs.  This view did get my clients the best of me, but it also got me sick, burnt out and almost self destructive when it came to my health.  I skipped meals, didn't drink water, ate fast food late at night, drank soda to stay up, and candy to cope with the sadness around me.
 
This continued when I had Felipe, he was born, he needed to be taken care of w all his appointments and again, I put my needs secondary.  After a night of being sick from eating too much fried things, I had the conversation with myself that it was time for a change.  I didn't have the patience to deal with Felipe bc I was sick and just wanted to remain in bed. This was unacceptable. I no longer wanted to be the sickly one, always tired, always the stress cadet.  I couldn't afford that with a child that needed my full attention and full energy so that he can recover from his spinal cord injury & kidney issues.  So I called my friend who was a Beach Body Coach and I took the plunge.  I was scared I wasn't going to be able to change, that being sick was my lot in life.  However the more I went to Felipe's appointments, the more I refused to accept being in and out of medical offices was his life, the more I thought it wasn't for me either.  I committed to get healthy by eating well and exercising. Motherhood changed my view of health.

So while Felipe is learning to walk and stand on his own. I have a similar path of learning to prioritize my health so I can be a stronger and more energized to be with Felipe. Thanks for stopping by to witness Felipe's and my journey.  You'll see there are some bumps in the road but always moving forward.

God Bless.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to meet you Ruth! Jks, but I really did love reading this one. You're ahmazing!

    ReplyDelete